The town we all now know as Mountain Home was once called Rapp’s Barrens. This was the name of the post office here until 1857, when it was changed to Mountain Home. However, the name was still known as Rapp’s Barrens on the 1860 census and also appears as Rapp’s Barrens on Arkansas maps as late as 1865.
In 1992, the city of Mountain Home agreed to allow the Society to have a section of Cooper Park to erect Rapp’s Barrens, a pioneer village of buildings which were moved from several areas of the county. The village, maintained by the city of Mountain Home, now contains two log cabins, a shot-gun house, and the Shady Grove School. Baxter County History Day, co-sponsored by the Historical Society and the Mountain Home Parks and Recreation Department, is observed each October in Rapp’s Barrens.
Photos of Rapp’s Barren can be seen in the photo album of History Day 2009.