home page Contact Us

Home
Society Information
Meeting Information
Officers & Staff
Society Members
Becoming A Member
 
Photo Album
Books & Items for Sale
 
Calendar
Special Events Info
 
Chronological History
 
Sheriffs Biographies
 
Post Office History
 
Heritage Center
 
Archival Program
 
Historic Properties
Casey House
Rapps Barren
Rollins Hospital
Wolf House
Mtn. Home
     Historic District

 
Useful Links
 
Contact Us
Site Map


Sponsors




Administration Login
 
Historic Properties
click to print this pageprint this page

Baxter County properties listed in the
National Register of Historic Places

 

Property

Location and Additional Information

Baxter County Courthouse

Courthouse Square, Mountain Home.

 

1941-1943 structure built by Works Progress Administration (WPA).  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/26/1995.

Big Flat School Gymnasium

Co. Rd. 121, S. of junction with AR 14, Big Flat.

 

1938 structure built by National Youth Administration.

Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 11/19/1993.

Buford School Building

Hwy. 126, Buford.

 

1936 Works Progress Administration (WPA) – built educational structure.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/4/1992.

Case-Shiras-Dearmore House

351 E. 4th St., Mountain Home.

 

1880 Plain Traditional style home linked to prominent local families.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 2/3/1992.

Casey House

Fairgrounds off U.S. Hwy. 62, Mountain Home.

 

Circa 1858 dog-trot structure built by pioneer, soldier & politician.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 12/4/1975.

Cold Water School

2422 CR 73, at McPherson (official register says "Big Flat vicinity").

 

1926 one-room rural school.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/29/2008.

Cotter Bridge

a/k/a R.M. Ruthven Bridge

US Hwy. 62, over the White River, Cotter.

 

1930 Marsh rainbow-arch bridge.  The Cotter Bridge is a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 4/4/1990.

Cotter High School Gymnasium

412 Powell St., Cotter.

 

1936-1938 structure built by Works Progress Administration (WPA).  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/29/1995.

Cotter Water Tower

NE Junction of US 62 B & State Street, Cotter.

 

1935 Public Works Administration – funded water tower.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/24/2007.

Davis House

Junction of Wolf St. and Hwy. 5 South, Norfork.

 

1928 pyramid-roof cottage.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 3/23/1995.

Fort Smith to Jackson Road—Talbert’s Ferry Segments

Address: Restricted, Cotter area.

 

Circa 1836 military road segments traversed by John Benge Detachment during Cherokee Trail of Tears.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/22/2004.

Horace Mann School Historic District a/k/a Norfork Public School

City Hall Circle, Norfork.

 

1936 Works Progress Administration and National Youth Administration-built school complex.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/29/2007.

Mountain Home Commercial Historic District

Downtown Mountain Home (roughly bounded on the North by E. 5th St., E. 9th St. on the South, South St. on the East, and Hickory St. on the West.

 

1892-1959 commercial center of the Baxter County seat of government.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 6/15/2010.

North Fork Bridge

Hwy. 5 South, over North Fork of White River, Norfork.

 

1937 steel-deck Warren-truss bridge.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 4/9/1990.  The bridge was demolished in 2014.

Old Joe Site

Address Restricted, Norfork area.

 

Circa 1500 rock art site.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/4/1982.

Rollins Hospital

107 E. Main St., Gassville.

 

1923 community hospital building.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/20/2007.

Sid Hutcheson Building

13912 Hwy. 5 South, Norfork.

 

1910 cast-concrete building that is important to the town's commercial history.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/30/2014.

Wolf Cemetery

County Road 68, Norfork.

 

1823-1904 cemetery of notable pioneer family.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 3/13/2013.

Wolf (Jacob) House

Hwy. 5 South, near W. fork of White and North Fork Rivers, Norfork.

 

Circa 1825 two-story, dog-trot log home of pioneer leader.  Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 4/13/1973.

 

 

Additional Information regarding these sites is located at: 

 

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program 


National Register of Historic Places