The Mountain Home Commercial Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 15, 2010.
Here is an excerpt from the United States Department of the Interior’s report:
“The first permanent white settler in the area that was to become Mountain Home was around 1810. A post office was established in 1857 and named Mountain Home. The 'Male and Female Academy' opened in Mountain Home in 1853, but was burned during the Civil War along with most of the houses and businesses in town. Mountain Home and the Male and Female Academy were rebuilt after the war with the addition of several new businesses. Mountain Home was incorporated as a town in 1888. With its central location and strong educational background, Mountain Home became the county seat of Baxter County when it formed in 1873. The establishment of a college in 1893 further solidified the town as an educational center. Baxter County business was first conducted in a store at the edge of town in 1873, then in a former boarding house on Main Street. In 1882, the first official courthouse building was constructed on land donated by local businessman that had unofficially been used as the town square. A second courthouse was constructed on the town square in 1890….”
A complete list of the properties comprising the Historic District, along with the entire report from the National Park Service can be viewed at the link below. This document contains some very interesting history about our area. Also included below is a link to a sketched map of the Historic District.
Mountain Home Commercial District: Report from the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
Map of the Historic District.